Nature Park Travel - Europe off the beaten track
home > Hiking Trails > Rennsteig
The Rennsteig is very popular with many guests. It is absolutely necessary that you book your accommodation in advance.
You receive detailed information from the local tourist information offices.
The classic Rennsteig tour through the Thuringian Forest and the Schiefer mountains is designed for physically fit hikers and consists of six stages. Each of the stages is 13 to 20 miles long.
4. From Neustadt am Rennsteig past Masserberg, Friedrichshoehe, Limbach and Lauscha over the Eselsberg mountain to Neuhaus am Rennsteig - 19 miles
5. From Neuhaus am Rennsteig to Steinbach am Wald - 14 miles
6. From Steinbach am Wald to the Saale river at Blankenstein - 18 miles
You find accommodation near all stage points.
The following example is a more relaxed Rennsteig Tour in 8 stages. Be careful when planning this: the majority of accommodation is not directly at the stage points.
1. Hoerschel to Ascherbrueck/Ruhla - 12 miles
2. Ascherbrueck/Ruhla to Heuberghaus - 12 miles
3. Heuberghaus to Grenzadler Oberhof - 15 miles
4. Oberhof to Bahnhof Rennsteig - 11 miles
5. Bahnhof Rennsteig to Masserberg - 12.4 miles
6. Masserberg to Ernstthal - 15.5 miles
7. Ernstthal to Brennersgruen - 16.1 miles
8. Brennersgruen to Blankenstein 12.4 miles
A track for mountain bikes runs parallel to the Rennsteig hiking trail.
For Children & Parents